• There will be an upgrade performed to the site tonight. The forums may go offline for a short period. Sorry for the inconvenience.

WMR/Samsung Odyssey+ Review Placeholder

El Quintron

Administrator
Staff member
Some highlights before I write a full review:

Pros:
-Hardware is approximately the same as the Vive Pro at 1/3rd of the price
-Inside out Tracking (no base stations)
-Absolutely no SDE

Cons:
-WMR sucks, but like most of Microsoft's offerings I expect it to get exponentially better (apparently it's much better than it was)
-Some stuff is supposedly supported but isn't

TL;DR:

-I bought this because despite being to afford the Vive Pro I really can't justify that price tag to myself, so far I'm really liking the visual quality, but I still thing it's probably inferior to both of Valve's offering on the software front.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
You almost have me wanting to buy one just to compare.

Do you still use SteamVR as your main VR source for games etc like I do with the HTC?

OP
OP
El Quintron

El Quintron

Administrator
Staff member
You almost have me wanting to buy one just to compare.

Do you still use SteamVR as your main VR source for games etc like I do with the HTC?
Yes, It user SteamVR exclusively for games.

I got Subnautica for free from Epic games, and it loads up the Valve VR platform to play it despite being on another store, I'm not sure if this is because of the WMR middleware, Epic or Valve, but Subnautica is free on Epic games, all you have to do is register (I did it because I wanted SuperGiant's new game Hades, which is Early Access on Epic Games).

Also because WMR is directly part of windows if your headset is connected, it'll load up compatible web based VR automatically.

It's improved at bit with W10/1809, but one thing to remember is that this platform is married to Microsoft.

I'd be interested in seeing you test Subnautica from the Epic Games launcher, without WMR middle ware and see what happens.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
One thing I will say, and I haven't tried your setup, but am I told why the Vive is superior isn't because of the headset and controls but because of the base stations. You have it listed as a plus that you don't have to have them with your setup but they are a big reason my friend recommended the vive as it allows for more accurate tracking.

Are you able to try Creed: Rise to Glory? I haven't tried subnautica yet but will do so soon.

I'm a Windows Insider user so get the latest Win 10 build immediately and just had to spend a couple of days figuring out why my headset stopped tracking. Eventually uninstalling and reinstalling the chipset drivers fixed the issue (new driver was just released and had a note regarding multiple displays and the Oculus) but went through uninstalling and reinstalling everything from the vive apps to steam and steam vr, my graphics drivers, cpu drivers etc. Even spent a day on the weekend rearranging my base stations and running the extra cable to connect them hardwired. Was just about to rollback windows when I finally tried the chipset drivers.

OP
OP
El Quintron

El Quintron

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I will say, and I haven't tried your setup, but am I told why the Vive is superior isn't because of the headset and controls but because of the base stations. You have it listed as a plus that you don't have to have them with your setup but they are a big reason my friend recommended the vive as it allows for more accurate tracking.
The tracking in WMR is definitely inferior to VIVE and possibly Oculus due to the lack of base stations, it's disappointing considering how good the optics are. Apparently you can hack Roomscale VR into your setup... but since busy season in upon me at work I've kinda dropped most of my tinkering for the time being.

Everyone and their dog is looking for RRSPs right now, so I'm swamped.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
I'd like to get the wireless module for the headset for my vive but it is super crazy expensive.

I'm not picky on the optics. I haven't played a game yet that is an actual AAA game with blow your mind graphics anyways so don't really see the need to upgrade to the pro version and spend the money for virtually the same setup I have now.

I could maybe justify it if the pro model was wireless but a better res (when there are no games at that res) and having headphones built in just doesn't justify the pricetag in my opinion.

I paid $500 for my "regular" vive (though I did buy it used) which is right inline with the other systems on the market and I am perfectly happy with it as far as performance. Any issues I have experienced have had nothing to do with the Vive itself but with external issues (either game glitches or windows issues).

Though the Rift just dropped to $449 brand new for basically the same setup. If performance is comparable to my Vive, that is an awesome deal!!

Edit: After my almost full week of troubleshooting, turns out that it was an adapter I had plugged into the same usb bus as the Vive (either the bluetooth dongle for my wireless keyboard and mouse or the wireless adapter for my 360 controllers--not sure which as I moved the bluetooth dongle to another bus and unplugged the adapter altogether). Thinking it was likely the bluetooth dongle for my keyboard and mouse as the Vive uses bluetooth to communicate between the base stations and the headset.

Not sure why it waited until now to start giving me grief as I haven't changed anything in my setup whatsoever since I installed the Vive...

Last edited:

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
I think I am going to pick up a Rift one week when I make enough OT to support the purchase. I was talking to my buddy and while tracking (even with the basestations for both) is inferior on the rift, it seems like they have garnered more native adaptation and have been more innovative.

It's almost like 2 different paths from what he explained. The Vive focuse on getting it right and excelling at that before expanding on their capabilities whereas the Rift seems to have expanded more and have done so in a "good enough" kind of manner where everything works but nothing really excels.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
I switched over to the Oculus Rift. Having issues initially but can be overcome with some tweaks.

I need to get a dedicated USB3 card for my pc and some active usb 3 extension cables for the sensors and may even pick up another sensor or two in order to get proper room scaling like I had with the Vive.

I will say that even though the Rift headset comes with sound built in that I much prefer the vive headset. Resolution is about the same but the lenses are set further from your eyes which causes a kind of "horse blind" effect where you actually see black on the left and right extremes whereas the Vive felt more inclusive.

I do like the Rift's controllers better as they allow for better hand and actually allow finger tracking as well but that being said, as I don't have optimal sensor placement I haven't been able to truly experience the benefit as of yet.

The other deficit for the Rift is that the controllers are battery powered and there is no external dock so everything needs to be plugged into the pc directly so you need 3 usb 3 ports plus your hdmi. Every sensor needs to be plugged in directly whereas with the Vive, the sensors operate over bluetooth and are not connected to the pc at all and the controllers have battery packs that can be charged.

OP
OP
El Quintron

El Quintron

Administrator
Staff member
I switched over to the Oculus Rift. Having issues initially but can be overcome with some tweaks.
Out of curiosity, is this a permanent switch, or are you planning on going back to the Vive?

OP
OP
El Quintron

El Quintron

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure. I didn't realize that Steam is coming out with their own version so I may wait and see.
Bear in mind Vive is notoriously slow... so don't stick with Oculus unless you truly do like it. Also after a another firmware update, my Odyssey+ has improved again.

I finally got to try Beat Saber and it's awesome.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
Bear in mind Vive is notoriously slow... so don't stick with Oculus unless you truly do like it. Also after a another firmware update, my Odyssey+ has improved again.

I finally got to try Beat Saber and it's awesome.
My kids love Beat Saber, my youngest plays it on expert now.

I prefer Space Pirate Trainer myself.

I just ordered my extra equipment needed for a complete rift setup. I got a usb 3.0 extension cable, usb 3.0 pcie card, the third sensor and 2 wall mounts. Cost $190 so if I would have purchased the rift outright from a store, it would have cost me $710, which is what the regular vive costs new.

Everything should be delivered tomorrow so will update my review sometime this weekend.

Top Bottom