Rant Time

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
OK, so let's preface this with that I could be a recognized native Canadian. I am part German, part French and part Native.

The thing that started this post, and is likely not politically correct for the owner of a forum to do so, is that I was watching a documentary about Flint, Michigan on Netflix.

I was completely neutral and, even though I was bothered by some political aspects during this documentary, I was mainly on the side of the department and it's challenges until it got to the point of the election. then it seemed to divide the department and perfectly illustrated the exact problem in the world today and I just had to vocalize my disappointment.

I was wronged many times in my life. My ancestors were definitely treated poorly historically. Should I perpetuate that wrong-doing simply because 150 years ago my ancestors made poor decisions and traded land for whiskey? Should I garner a resentment simply because hundreds of years ago my people were slaughtered so that immigrants to this country forcefuly took land and enslaved my native ancestors?

Yes our history in this country is full of despicable acts. Yes people were wronged and whole ethicities were destroyed and eliminated. However 300, 400 100 years later, it is time to forget that history and start claiming responsibility for our own actions. Our history doesn't dictate our future and those leaning on that history are perpetuation the failures of the future and the discrimination that comes with that.

We, now more than ever, are a global community. Racism today isn't of colour. It is the popler that are continually trying to segregate and separate that is destroying this world. Poverty doesn't discriminate. Sexual orientation doesn't discriminate. Those groups demanding that they should be recognized as special and separate from the global population is what is destroying the community.

In today's world, the problem isn't inequality, the problem is those that are creating inequality. Everyone is equal and deserve the same rights. I don't give a damn and, to be completely honest, who you sleep with at night, the colour of your skin or if you are a women trapped in a mans body or are a man or woman that wants to perform on stage as the opposite sex. We all go to work every day, we all pay the same taxes. You shouldn't get a parade any more than I should be trashed for saying so.

let go of the past. You aren't special, you don't deserve a special day and certainly don't deserve to disrupt an entire city just because you feel you are different from the person standing next to you on the subway. No one cares who you have sex with and the majority could care less who you share your bed with.

Yes, we all had tough times to go through in our lives but in today's world there is no longer the tribulations previous generations had to go through We live in a politically correct society and are dangeroulsy teetering on the edge of alienating each other if things don't change. The reverse of what all of our organizations fought for in years past is coming to fruiting and is now causing extreme dmaage to today's society.

El Quintron

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to argue this (because I did the last time we had this discussion, over chief Wahoo on DSLr, but mostly out of interest of honest discussion, not because I harbor any resentment towards your opinion)

Full disclosure: my French Canadian-Irish godmother married a Mi'kmaq man in the 1970s, he died in the early 80s and she's lived on that particular first nations reserve ever since.

The real issue here is long lasting damage that has been caused by historical treatment of First Nations peoples. Some natives grew up on decent reserves, or off reserve and have generally good lives, and at the other end of the spectrum you get places like Davis Inlet and Attawapiskat and there's all sorts of fucked up going on there.

So you can't make an apples to apples comparison of all FN people. If you're from the reserve near where I grew up, or somewhere like Rama, you arguably have it pretty good, or at the very least you have the same opportunity as everyone else. If you live in Attawapiskat or Davis Inlet, you make no money, it costs at least 2k to leave (an astronomical sum in those places) and because it costs so much money to leave, you'll have no money when you get wherever you're going.

While you and I probably have relatively similar ideas as to people being equal the logistics of exiting the status quo is what has to be discussed, it's not an argument about racism, it only looks like an argument about racism.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
If you live in Attawapiskat or Davis Inlet, you make no money, it costs at least 2k to leave (an astronomical sum in those places) and because it costs so much money to leave, you'll have no money when you get wherever you're going.
OK, so move. No one is forcing anyone to live anywhere. Everyone has the same opportunities from the day they are born. Yes, some have it a lot more difficult than others but a lot of people are in the same boat and make very good lives for themselves despite where they start.

I've lived and worked in almost every province in this country. I moved where the work was when I had to and moved at other times to provide a better life for my family. I was born and raised in a very small town with little opportunity, not the best home life/situation and managed to make a very good and professional career for myself.

I have a hard time having empathy for people who refuse to take charge of their own lives and better their situations for themselves and their families.

El Quintron

Administrator
Staff member
OK, so move. No one is forcing anyone to live anywhere.
Point being most people can't move out of Attawapiskat or Davis Inlet, most connected reserves offer the same level of opportunity we have, the real issue I maintain here is lack of supplies to these places, and lack of an exit strategy.

Like I said above, comparing FNs is not an apples to apples comparison by any stretch, you can leave New Bruswick, and go anywhere, you can't leave Attawapiskat, you're not forced to live there, you'll just never have enough money to go elsewhere.

I was born and raised in a very small town with little opportunity, not the best home life/situation and managed to make a very good and professional career for myself.
So was I, but all of Canada's major cities were a bus/train ride away, at the same price everyone else pays.

I have a hard time having empathy for people who refuse to take charge of their own lives and better their situations for themselves and their families.
It's a bit more difficult for some than others... and I'm not saying that what we have is great, but I don't think it's as easy as deciding you're going to leave for most people is challenging environments.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
People migrate from entirely different countries under completely worse conditions and manage to do so with nothing but the clothes on their backs.

It is really as simple as just doing it and being determined that you will create yourself a better life for both you and your family.

Top Bottom