Official 2018 - 2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
What a disaster of a game.
I have no idea why Babcock won't play Andersen back to back. That was an important game last night from several angles.
Tell you one thing for sure... Sparks ain't it. We needed a steal last night and it didn't happen.
==sigh==

HiVolt

Staff member
Or why didn't Sparks play the game against the Oilers... Bad team, better chance for a win.

This game vs the Islanders, Tavares' home coming, was on the calendar since the day he signed. The best team should have been put on the ice, and that includes Freddie. The team plays differently in front of Freddie.

And the previous game where the Islanders also shelled the Leafs was Sparks in the net also, though Freddie was injured then.

Still.

There questions are starting to be asked about Mike Babcock, and rightfully so. Some of the decisions this year have been baffling. Home Ice is extremely important, pissing these points away is not good, and he might not survive a first round exit to the Bruins again.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Babcock should've either played SParks against Edmonton and Freddie against the Isles, or played him on both nights and gave Sparks the Sabres. Needed that win against NYI. If we're point shy of home ice advantage in the first round, there they are, sitting on Long Island.

Hate the western road swings... staying up late has become a chore in my old age.... :)

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Really encouraging, decisive win in Calgary, due in no small part to Andersen's play - man that guy is calm when he's on his game. He made Calgary look very pedestrian.

Tyler Ennis - waits 500+ games to get his first hat trick. They should bench him one a week. :)

HiVolt

Staff member
Yeah, that was a really good win. Team started strong and didn't wilt.

They really need to make a push to make 2nd place, even if Freddie has to play a back and back once in a while.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
When you look at their remaining schedule for March, the Tampa game is the only one against a team higher in the standings. The last 4 games in April are a little more challenging. But Boston, man, they're a strong team these days. Even if we have home ice they'll pose a significant obstacle. I don't want to use the word impossible, but beating them 4 of 7 will be tough for any team. I was hoping Carolina handed them a loss last night, no such luck.

HiVolt

Staff member
Well after blowing the lead and losing in OT to the Canucks, they almost did the same today, fortunately it was a 3-0 lead that they let the Oilers score two goals in the last minute or so, and they nearly tied it...

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
It's gut-check time tonight. Boston lost to the Penguins last night so, with a game in hand, Toronto can gain some ground on the Bruins tonight playing the top team in the league.

==gulp==

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
...aaaaaand splat. What a horrible showing. Leafs fans booing after the end of the second to add insult to injury.

Difficult to watch, that game.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
Hate to say it but typical Leafs fashion though....especially when the season is winding down. It's like the whole team sets themselves on coast with no reason other than they'd rather play golf than go to the playoffs.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Right? And wouldn't you know it, the Bruins lost again last night. Let's see if the Leafs can dispatch the Blackhawks and crawl 2 points closer to home ice in the first round. I really don't think it'll make much difference in the end, but that remains to be seen.

HiVolt

Staff member
That was a brutal game vs Tampa. They have no business playing a team like that. Just got smoked.

Not to mention the fucking social media snowflakes throwing poor Morgan Rielly under the bus for allegedly saying a homophobic slur, which was untrue.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Another stinker last night. Painful to watch. I'm watching the last quarter of the season play out and I'm overwhelmed by the need to sing "the wheels on the bus go round and round... round and round.... round and round..."

Chicago, Philly and The Sens, 3 bottom feeders that could have vaulted Toronto into second in the division, but oooooh nooooo....

HiVolt

Staff member
Yep, another turd. They tried to polish the turd a little in the 3rd period, but failed to make it shiny enough.

2nd place & home ice advantage is slipping away, and a likely another 1st round exit vs the Bruins. They probably won't even match last year's 105 points at

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Jesus H. Christ. Another fuckin turd, losing 5-2 to Philly and by some miracle they come back. This isnt a playoff team.
No it isn't a playoff team, not by a long shot.
Right now, they'd be lucky not to get swept by the Bruins in the first round.
As luck would have it, Boston is in a bit of a swoon and they draw the Blue Jackets tonight.
But IMHO, Boston is a much better team overall.

With a bit of luck Toronto will squeak 2 points out of Kanata tonight and Columbus will hand Boston another loss.
Think that gets us into 2nd in the division. Home ice would be nice, and usually an advantage.

HiVolt

Staff member
I hadn't realized the Bruins had lost 3 straight. I guess it was bound to happen after that 18 game point streak, during which the Leafs had several swoons and only managed to be behind by 4 points I think at most, and lost to some bad teams.

Freddie has been bad the past few games, and he admits it. Last night is no different, but its not all the goalie's fault. The defensive system still stinks, and Muzzin has been average at best, despite his two goals last night.

Garret Sparks must make a statement tonight, and steal one for the team. And the whole team needs to step up, because the Sens, as shitty as they've been, always seem to play the Leafs tough, even though they've lost some of their best players.

HiVolt

Staff member
LOL, and like clockwork, they're getting shelled by the Sens 4-1 in the 2nd period. I'm turning this debacle off. Next year, new backup goalie Mr. Dubas. Your experiment to let go of both McIlhenny and Pickard was a fail.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
I turned it off much sooner. When the Sens went up 1 - 0 you could just tell by the way the Leafs were playing that the game was lost. It seems like Sparks hasn't won a game in forever. Letting McIlhenny and Pickard both slide like that... huge mistake. He decided Sparks was it, Sparks ain't it. So there's a void that needs filled. If Freddie is injured or can't play for whatever reason, Leafs are dead in the water. And Freddie sprung some leaks too. "Need to battle through it" is not what you want to hear mid-March with a playoff race in full swing.

Wouldn't that be something, treating Gardiner like a hometown rental, lose him for the rest of the season then lose him to UFA for nothing on July 1. Can't make this shit up. We have so many holes on D right now it's not funny.

I've lost enough faith, think I'm going to turn my cable box in to Rogers and call it a year. For what I'm getting from them, OTA is enough. Not much point in spending $70.05 every month to watch, far too painful.

Top Bottom