• There will be an upgrade performed to the site tonight. The forums may go offline for a short period. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Official 2018 - 2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Gritty win against Tampa Bay last night. Statement game for sure, with Boston directly behind us in the standings. Another 2 points needed in Florida tonight. Guessing Sparks will get the start.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking "this is going to be a rout" when Hainsey scored that first goal 2 minutes in. Instead, the Leafs gave up. Horrible to watch, nowhere near the same compete level as the night before. That's 4-6-0 in their last 10 and now we're but 2 points from the last playoff spot. ==sigh==

HiVolt

Staff member
Yeah that was a total turd after the excellent effort against Tampa.

This is a bad January swoon.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Really bad. Stinky poo poo.
I totally get what they were trying to do with Sparks, but at this point I'm leaning toward FAIL.
And April looms large.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
== sigh==
Another stinker. Very painful to watch.

HiVolt

Staff member
Well a good win agains the Caps 6-3. Kadri with a hatty, Matthews got a goal and even Willie The Cursed had 3 assists.

Hope they clear their heads at the all star break and start playing with a purpose to make sure they finish 2nd in the division to guarantee home ice.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
That was the Battle Of The Swooners last night. The Caps are in a spot of trouble.
Good effort from the Leafs, nice to see Matthews score.
Not sure what to make of Nylander. Lots of hockey pundits figure he won't be long in Toronto.

8 days of no hockey. Not a fan of the all-star stuff at all.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Jake Muzzin was a terrific signing. I'm liking this Kyle Dubas youngster more and more. Hope to see Muzzin in action tomorrow against the Red Wings.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Both Boston and Montreal breathing down our necks in the standings. Need to lay some whoop-ass on the Ducks tonight just to pad what little space there is. A 3 or 4 game losing streak right now would be devastating with just 2 points separating the 3 teams. Columbus is 6 points back, Buffalo 9 points back, both of them still threats. If ever there was a time for the Leafs to play well and be consistent, this is it.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Well you know how these clutch Battle Of Ontario games go. Both Boston and Montreal keeping pace with the newly-extended Matthews and the Leafs, just 2 points separating the 3 teams. If Boston wins tonight they leapfrog Montreal in the standings and come in behind the Leafs but tied in points. The Sens are dead last in the league. The previous-life Leafs would blow this game. They'll need to come out sharp, fast, and maintain a crushing presence for an entire 60 minutes.

Side note, hate the Toronto Star story from Feshuk regarding the Marner contract situation. I think it's all bullshit.

HiVolt

Staff member
Phew, had to blow that lead against the Sens, but they got it back. Never easy against them even when they stink, they seem to get up for the games vs Leafs. Boston blew a lead and lost in OT, so Habs & Bruins are at 66 pts now. We have 5 ROW's advantage on both of them, so that will be important in the event of a tie in points.

I'm happy with the Matthews signing, under the current cap situation, 5 years is the best they could get and still have a manageable AAV. I think they can get Marner at 9.5-10 AAV for 5 years also, and thats the window to win a cup. Next year will be a little tough with the cap, but with Marleau's contract going away after next year, there will be a bit more flex. Or maybe they can work a miracle and he would agree to a trade.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
The game against the Habs on Saturday is a huge 4 pointer.
Battle for 2nd in the conference. Should be a doozy.

HiVolt

Staff member
That game vs Habs was really good. Then they laid an egg against the Rangers, but then have since put up two good game against Avs & Vegas, and the power play is starting to come back to life, and they are also drawing more penalties.

Lets hope tonight they will be prepared against the Coyotes.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
No such luck, that was a stinker and very frustrating to watch. So there goes second place in the division and home ice, down the drain. Still 1/4 of the season left, but the time now is for "pedal to the metal", not time for a late-season swoon.

And the trade deadline looms large. With year 1 of the 5 year plan on the line, and with expectations of at least a run at the conference final, I have to wonder if Dubas is going to weave some magic.

HiVolt

Staff member
Yep, laid a huge fucking egg, and Boston passed us winning the late night game against a shitty Kings team. Which it's the way it's supposed to work. Good team beat bad teams. Leafs seem to always have trouble with that.

I've said it many times. It doesnt bother me as much if they lose to a good team. Losing to the shit teams is what drives me nuts.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Boston's OT win last night puts them 3 points up on the Leafs, but we do have 2 games in hand.
Playing the resurgent Blues tonight, should be a real battle - we need those 2 points in a big way.

Top Bottom