Official 2018 - 2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we can take the two points but the Habs outplayed us for 58 of those 60 minutes. I draw no comfort in Matthews getting 2 or Tavares getting his first when overall we looked really unsteady. Didn't look like a lot of confidence out there, hopefully that'll change for Ottawa on Saturday. I suspect a sharp, lengthy practice with plenty of "coaching" is on deck for today.

Love that Boston got whooped. :)

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Sens in town tonight. Hoping to see the Buds open up a can of whoop-ass on these guys, always fun to watch a Battle Of Ontario win.

Just as an aside, my wife and I got cable this week after almost 3 years of a cut cord. One reason: Tavares. Little did I know that a lot of the out-of-market games are blacked out on both TSN and SN not because of empty seats like the old days, but to protect their NHLCI product, which sucks big time. My wife is a Detroit fan. We're more than a little disappointed and seriously considering cancelling. We were annoyed that TSN2 was not included in the package we signed up for and had to add it for an additional $7 a month hit.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
Ya, this blackout thing is complete BS. I don't want to promote the grey market but you'd be better off looking into it versus wasting money on cable. I think @HiVolt knows of a service that can help you out for like $10-$12 a month

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
October is "Leaky Freddie" month. Holy smokes. A few flashes of brilliance in the final moments last night in Dallas, but... wow. Not good at all. His M.O. is to buckle down come November. Let's hope he stays true to form on that one, because Sparks looked pretty shaky in Chicago despite the win. Good thing we're scoring goals by the truckload.

What a power play unit. Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Kadri and Reilly. Absolutely lethal.

HiVolt

Staff member
After Thursday's game, the Leafs have 4 players on top of the points scoring table. Yeah its only 5 games, but this is insane, and the PP is so lethal.

I think Babcock realized the error of his ways last year of not using Matthews on the PP. Matthews is clearly shining in the new role, and I'm sure much happier with the additional ice time as he wanted to play more last year, but Babcock was favouring older veterans.

This is where I find a bit of a fault with Babcock, he tends to want to ride his veteran players, even not so good ones, and it costs the team at times, like last year Leo Komarov would have more ice time than Matthews in most games. Where's the logic?

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Well I just don't get what's happened in Edmonton. I mean, the number of #1 draft picks they've had, and the quality players they've received for those picks.... the results they've gotten are more than disappointing. And they've changed coaches and I think some parts of management too. I guess their supporting cast just hasn't been that great, no chemistry.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Another great win. The boys are on a roll. It's sure fun when the team is winning hockey games isn't it. Nylander who? :)

Another good test on Thursday with the Penguins in town. We're not going to go 81-1, but this is one of the teams we'll have to get past in the playoffs at some point. I really do love all the speed and skill, but man I sure do wish we had a stud D that's big and bruising, able to punish opponents.

HiVolt

Staff member
There is a report that the GM Dubas went to meet with Nylander in Europe. I think he's probably telling him, either you sign at our number, or you don't play in the NHL this year. And sitting out the year or more will wipe out any money you hoped to earn on top of what the Leafs are offering.

Or sign a bridge deal until you're UFA.

Wee Willy has zero leverage now.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
If it's a bridge deal there can't be a no-movement clause. List of 10 no-trade teams, sure. But if they go bridge to UFA then they have to be able to move him for assets and futures in the final year. That's probably the best course of action anyway.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
I can't remember a time where we closed out October at the top of the league. I know it's still early, but the Leafs look good. Good enough that I don't even consider the Penguins a solid test. Of course, I've been wrong before...

:)

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Well that was a stinker against the Penguins. Too many no-shows on home ice, not good.
I suspect there'll be one hell of a practice this morning.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Tyler Bozak back in town tonight. Not exactly lighting it up for St. Louis, but he was a heck of a player for the Leafs. Hopefully they'll keep him on the outside tonight.

HiVolt

Staff member
Yeah that was a stinker, but really the first offensive stinker of the season. The game was there to be had, it was only 1-0 after two periods.

Can't win them all. I don't really mind it as much if they lose to good teams. Losing to the bad ones is what pisses me off.

Yeah I hope they put a nice video tribute for Bozie, for an undrafted college free agent he's had himself a decent career. He owes it to Burkie that's for sure.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Man. Another stinker. Hopefully the ship gets righted quickly, before holes get dug too deep. Very disappointing.

HiVolt

Staff member
Same thing happened last year. They started with the same 6-1 record, outscoring everyone and letting a lot of goals in. It didnt sustain, they lost the next 7 out of 8.

Let's hope they can recover better from it this year.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I remember some grief last October. Andersen didn't look very good then, and he looks a little wobbly this October too. There wasn't a big point spread at the top of our division last year so I'm hoping for a better finish. Home ice for a round or two would be nice, though right now that doesn't look to be much of an advantage.

HiVolt

Staff member
It was a good win vs Winterpeg last Wednesday, today is a rematch in Toronto. Hope they prevail again.

HiVolt

Staff member
And just when I thought they were gonna lay an egg, being down 0-2 after two perios, they come back to score 3 goals in the 3rd and win 3-2, to sweep the mini two game series with the Jets.

OP
OP
dillyhammer

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Gutsy win for sure. Really impressive.

I hope Matthews isn't going to be gone any length of time. It didn't seem like that big of a hit. I've watched the replays of that hit and I have to wonder. I think this makes it 3 shoulder injuries in his career. Not a good thing. I know they've already said he's out for Monday's tilt against the Flames. Guess we'll find out soon enough. If he goes on the IR it adds stock to Nylander's signing.

Top Bottom