• There will be an upgrade performed to the site tonight. The forums may go offline for a short period. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Is it Time for the IISP Spring Promos Yet

Davesnothere

Administrator
Staff member
Ya, it might be too soon.

Even Wiarton Willie has not spoken to us so far this year.

But one can still hope and wonder.

I read that there is supposed to be a CRTC decision coming soon which might influence rates, and IISPs are likely waiting to see how that factors into the math for their service plans.

Anyone know anything so far ?

BTW, I am in Ontario in CogecoLand, so cCable proposals matter most to me, but all info is still welcome.

Last edited:

El Quintron

Administrator
Staff member
I think this is worth talking about, I know I might be in the minority here, but I mostly do IISPs because they have better service, and a better internal network. (better routing, solid DNS servers, etc) pricing is probably the last thing on my mind when I buy this stuff.

I would love for *any* IISP to deliver FTTH right now, tarrifs be damned, I'd be ready to do with I did on cable with Tek and pay the higher price now, and get the rebate later, like they did with 150/10

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
I wouldn't say you're in the minority here.

Until very recently I've been a very proud and staunch supporter of the IISPs. I would love to return and I am fairly confident that once they can get access to FTTH, they will once again return to their superior customer service.

I think they are all starting to feel the pain of not being able to offer competitive services globally compared to the incumbents. As the saying goes, shit rolls downhill and as a result everything else is starting to suffer.

OP
OP
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Administrator
Staff member
I think this is worth talking about,....

....pricing is probably the last thing on my mind when I buy this stuff.

I would love for *any* IISP to deliver FTTH right now, tariffs be damned....
~
FTTH in particular would not be a big drawing card for me (overkill).

In an earlier episode (2 or 3 years ago, during the Blais era), we and our fearless heroes were waiting for a CRTC decision regarding finalizing the interim last mile circuit access rates for regular mainstream speeds on FTTN and Cable.

Did THAT ever happen ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Administrator
Staff member
....I think they [IISPs] are all starting to feel the pain of not being able to offer competitive services globally compared to the incumbents.

As the saying goes, shit rolls downhill, and as a result everything else is starting to suffer.
~
So THAT's what I have been smelling !

I realize that not being able to offer the newer higher speed tiers (and/or offer them at fair and competitive prices) must be hurting the Indies, but it is only part of their woes if regular mainstream speeds also/still cost IISPs too much at wholesale.

Those mainstream speeds are what most users still buy, and if margin was better on those, it would not matter as much to IISPs about the high end FTTH stuff, I feel.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
~
So THAT's what I have been smelling !

I realize that not being able to offer the newer higher speed tiers (and/or offer them at fair and competitive prices) must be hurting the Indies, but it is only part of their woes if regular mainstream speeds also/still cost IISPs too much at wholesale.

Those mainstream speeds are what most users still buy, and if margin was better on those, it would not matter as much to IISPs about the high end FTTH stuff. I feel.
It is hard to stay in business when you can't be competitive...

Top Bottom