I before E except after C and other Common Sense Rules

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
Totally blown away that my kids didn't learn this rule in school. One is in her first year of uni and the other is in her first year of high school. The oldest was like, "whoah, you just blew my mind!"

What the hell are they teaching them now? Neither one can read a clock and neither one was taught to always stay right (which is an extreme pet peeve of mine when walking around Montreal during rush hour--no one has any idea where to walk any more even when I make it extremely clear via body language I'm going right).

I learned all of these things in elementary school....

bjlockie

Neither one can read a clock
It's funny because the current test for Alzheimer's disease is to draw an analog clock with a specific time.

no one has any idea where to walk any more even when I make it extremely clear via body language I'm going right).
Stay right on an escalator except when walking to pass doesn't seem well known either. :-(

What the hell are they teaching them now?
Good question.

dillyhammer

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, this is another thing that drives me nuts--especially when they don't move out of the way and are just standing there.
Drives me crazy. I used to just grin and bear it. I say 'excuse me' now. It's louder the second time I say it, and profanity is included in the third (toned down a notch if kids are present).

El Quintron

Administrator
Staff member
What's funny is as a Francophone I learned that very rule in Grade 6?

I think it's because it's supposed to be an easy reference point for ESL speakers, even if everyone in NB is bilingual.

Davesnothere

Administrator
Staff member
Totally blown away that my kids didn't learn this rule in school. One is in her first year of uni and the other is in her first year of high school. The oldest was like, "whoah, you just blew my mind!"

What the hell are they teaching them now? Neither one can read a clock and neither one was taught to always stay right (which is an extreme pet peeve of mine when walking around Montreal during rush hour--no one has any idea where to walk any more even when I make it extremely clear via body language I'm going right).

I learned all of these things in elementary school....
~
Unfortunately, the 'I before E' rule is fraught with exceptions, at least in English.

Weird ! (Hey, there's one now !)

But the clock illiteracy and/or walking etiquette ignorance of some folks never fails to amaze me !

How about cashiers who cannot figure out why I added a few smaller value coins to what I handed them, so that I get back more quarters ?

They rely on the cash register to figure that out, and even then, some just do not get it.

Last edited:

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
Another one--people who don't wait for people to exit elevators/metro before trying to enter!

Unfortunately, the 'I before E' rule is fraught with exceptions, at least in English.
Of course, there are exceptions to every rule--doesn't mean it's not a good rule, just not a perfect one. ;)

Top Bottom