Email to the Chair Himself--Let's See if He Has the Courage to Show

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
Mr Scott,

I am requesting your presence for an online Q&A on my forums.

I will preface this invitation with a little background. I started my forums as a direct result of today's current climate in Canada. We are at a very pivotal point, as I am sure you would agree and have stated yourself multiple times now in public venues, where how we move forward will very much shape the telecom landscape in this country for years to come.

Despite your very public empathy and concern in this regard, the CRTC, under your direction, has taken numerous and very discreet actions against those very concerns as of late. A number of initiatives that made inroads under the watchful eye of Mr. Blais have been either completely ignored, delayed considerably or completely reversed altogether.

Mr. Scott, you have even gone further and, against your very own public statements, endorsed and made decisions against the very concerns you vocalized publicly by disallowing organizations that truly garner the best interests of the Canadian population at large, the opportunity to vocalize their concerns during these inquiries.

I do realize Mr. Scott that you have life-long relationships within the telecom industry as, during your last tenure with the CRTC, you held both a lobbyist position with Telus at the very same time as drawing a salary from the CRTC, however you now hold the very seat of power that will shape this industry for years to come and need to understand the levity of that position.

I, personally, am still at a loss how a candidate with obvious strong ties as a pro-incumbent and an obviously anti-consumer posture, with absolutely no quams about being so landed such a position. You have, from the onset of your tenure, set out to not only overturn all of the benefits and progressions your predecessor had made but, in your very short tenure completely destroyed them--all the while having a smile on your face and publicly stating how concerned you are about our future, publishing those sound-bites, while doing your best to quietly pass rulings knowing the vertically-integrated media will not be publishing it and the general public will be none the wiser.

I have news for you Mr. Scott. Not only are you receiving this email but it will be published and distributed to every independent source within Canada. My site may be small and insignificant now but I will ensure that Canada as a whole sees your true colours and I will not rest until you actually have to answer for your actions.

Sincerely,

Bill Rabishaw

Owner, CanISPReports.com

EDIT: Got a bounceback from Mr. Scott's publicly published addresse so instead sent this to OpenMedia, CNOC, PIAC and an older CRTC email I had from a previous submission as well as alerted Mr. Geist via his twitter feed.

I don't know if our small site will actually garner any attention at all for this but I will not let that stop me in my efforts to bring to light what the vertically integrated media in this country refuses to report.

Last edited:

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
So, I've been having an ongoing conversation with Mr. von Finckenstein over the last couple of weeks.

There is a clarification I have to make and I thank Konrad for pointing this out and apologize to Ian Scott for the misunderstanding on my part.

At no time was Ian Scott receiving 2 salaries from both the CRTC and Telus at the same time. What actually happened--and is an accepted practice at the CRTC--is an exchange program of sorts in where an executive from a big telecom company garners a position at the CRTC. During that persons tenure, they continue to draw a salary paid by the telecom company and that telecom company is then reimbursed by the CRTC for the duration of that executive's tenure at the CRTC.

I find this completely shocking and unacceptable and, in many ways, this is even worse than the previous situation as the government is fostering a continuing conflict of interest within the very organization that is supposed to be there to protect us--AND FUNDING IT WITH TAXPAYER MONEY.

I draw a parallel to my own career. Any position I have held, there is always a conflict of interest section and typically nda's that prohibit this very type of behaviour--and usually extends for a period after I leave a certain company that I cannot go to a competitor for x amount of months. It is only common senser--you simply cannot be impartial when working for 2 opposing interests--especially when one is still signing your paycheques and obstensively controls your financial well being and future prospects.

Why this is acceptable for the CRTC just boggles my mind. How can a big telecom executive be impartial while being at the CRTC when their employer is still in charge of their salary? What is to stop Bell or Rogers or Telus dictating how that executive should influence CRTC policy or decisions? They have essentially created a system to legally allow an insider for the very corporations the CRTC is supposed to be protecting us from. No wonder we are in such a dire situation now!!

Last edited:

El Quintron

Administrator
Staff member
They have essentially created a system to legally allow an insider for the very corporations the CRTC is supposed to be protecting us from. No wonder we are in such a dire situation now!!
While I think Canada is a pretty awesome place to live/work/just be, this situation is absolutely untenable. There should be a salary for the head of the CRTC, and it should be paid by the taxpayer, and the person sitting on that chair should be fully accountable to the taxpayer during that period.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
While I think Canada is a pretty awesome place to live/work/just be, this situation is absolutely untenable. There should be a salary for the head of the CRTC, and it should be paid by the taxpayer, and the person sitting on that chair should be fully accountable to the taxpayer during that period.
Just to be clear. I am fairly certain the CRTC chair is not part of this program and that position is solely a CRTC position funded by the canadian taxpayer alone. However Mr. Scott's last tenure with the CRTC was a result of Interchange Canada so his salary was paid by Telus and then Telus was reimbursed via taxpayer money for the duration of his stay at the CRTC.

Apparently Konrad sees no issue with having a telecom executive, still on the telecom's salary, holding a position at the CRTC. According to him they strive very hard to avoid situations that would place people in a position of a conflict of interest.

The official program is called Interchange Canada and it is used not only in the telecom sector but every business sector in Canada.

I am completely mind-blown and baffled how this is even allowed to exist in the first place. Even if there is nothing untowards going on, the mere appearance of impropriety should be more than enough NOT to allow a program like this to exist.

HiVolt

Staff member
Apparently Konrad sees no issue with having a telecom executive, still on the telecom's salary, holding a position at the CRTC. According to him they strive very hard to avoid situations that would place people in a position of a conflict of interest.
Well, and that's partially why the CRTC was a shitshow under KvF's tenure. He was not experienced to handle & understand a new age of telecom decisions, the internet age.

It was such a breath of fresh air when JP Blais took over. I am confident we'd have affordable TPIA Fibre already if he was still at the helm, or at the very least coming real soon. Absolutely fuck all has happened in 1.5 years since Ian Scott took over.

I truly would like to know why JP Blais decided not to go for a second term.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
Well, and that's partially why the CRTC was a shitshow under KvF's tenure. He was not experienced to handle & understand a new age of telecom decisions, the internet age.

It was such a breath of fresh air when JP Blais took over. I am confident we'd have affordable TPIA Fibre already if he was still at the helm, or at the very least coming real soon. Absolutely fuck all has happened in 1.5 years since Ian Scott took over.

I truly would like to know why JP Blais decided not to go for a second term.
Honest;ly, I don't think he wound have been granted a second term and likely knew as much himself.

Top Bottom