Amazon Prime--Clawing Back

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
At some time during the past year since I renewed my prime membership, I noticed that my automatic free 1 day shipping was ever so slowly disappearing and being replaced with 2 day prime shipping. I had thought, at first, it was simply the time of day that I was ordering my items as typically it would be in the evening and after work hours.

I also noticed that my prime music membership had also been limited around the end of summer and that in order to experience the "full experience" of amazon music, I was now being prompted to upgrade my account.

I never really thought much of either and just assumed that I either was misconstruing something and simply did not have the time to look into it further.

However, I just received my email informing me that my Prime membership is coming up for renewal and listing the benefits of being a prime member:

• FREE Two-Day Shipping on millions of eligible items to most cities in Canada
  • Discounted One-Day Shipping for as low as CDN$ 3.99/item
  • FREE Standard Shipping where One-Day and Two-Day Shipping are unavailable
  • No Minimum Purchase – don't worry about meeting a threshold to get free shipping

Now I wish I still had my email from a year ago, unfortunately I do not. However I am certain the very same email I received last year, the benefits listed were FREE 1 day shipping, FREE Amazon Music, FREE Amazon Video.

I was very concerned as I saw no mention of Music or Video, even at their now-handicapped versions and also no mention on what the renewal would cost me. I'm fairly certain that last year, it cost me $75. The email also stated if I had any questions, I could go to their help page, but provided no link to that page,

Well I had plenty of questions so I had to go the extra mile and login to my account on Amazon.ca so I could find those answers. I login and click on my account and click on my prime membership and am greeted with a popup advertising 2 day free shipping, amazon music and amazon video.

Cool, 1 question answered. I still get music and video as a part of my membership. Now to find out how much this renewal is going to cost me.

My renewal is going to cost me $79.00. Not only that I find out it was the same price last year as there is a link that I can click on that shows me my receipt from last year. However they do charge GST and PST on that $79.00 so it actually costs just over $90 CAD.

So, for the most part, I'm just a paranoid bastard!! :p Other than shipping dropping from 1 day to 2 day (which really kind of grinds my gears) you don't really lose much for the same price. FYI, you can still pay extra in most prime cases to get 1 day shipping that will cost you an extra $6.99 and the change in only being a partial prime music and video customer, it is still basically the same service for the same price.

All in all, it's a favorable move on Amazon's part, I just wish they would have been more transparent with their changes instead of trying to pass it off like nothing has changed at all in regards to their services and your prime membership.

**in regards to Amazon music, you get access to around 30% of their total library without purchasing the upgrade, which is still a respectable 1 Million+ songs and in regards to Amazon Video, you may only be able to view the current season of a show and not have complete access to their backlog of movies and televisions shows (which kind of sucks anyways). This was definitely changed since I renewed my membership in April of 2018--at that time I full access to both libraries.

El Quintron

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm,

I'm still on a student membership until 2020? So I'm not going to rock the boat there... but I should definitely check that. It's also worth checking Prime Video USA if you're decently equipped for Geo-Tourism, which doesn't seem to have any of these restrictions.

Reason I mention it is that I seem to be getting a bit more value for my Prime account than what's outlined up there.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
Hmm,

I'm still on a student membership until 2020? So I'm not going to rock the boat there... but I should definitely check that. It's also worth checking Prime Video USA if you're decently equipped for Geo-Tourism, which doesn't seem to have any of these restrictions.

Reason I mention it is that I seem to be getting a bit more value for my Prime account than what's outlined up there.
I don't really use either to be honest. I used to use Amazon Music until I started getting prompted to upgrade my membership and then just switched to Spotify as the upgrade was something like $8.99 and Spotify was only $1 more and is a much better service.

Amazon Video never really interested me as I have Netflix and there is not really any Amazon exclusives I want to watch that I didn't get as part of my prime membership (Amazon Video's back catalogue really does suck).

Thing that hurts the most is the move from 1 day to 2 day shipping. Not really a huge deal for most things as I don't mind waiting the extra day or paying the extra $7 if I really need it the next day.

I just don't like how the sneakily slid in all these changes over the last year. I would rather a company be upfront and say "Hey, we just can't sustain the price of your membership so we're making these changes." Most of them really don't affect me anyways and it would have gone a long way in ensuring I don't feel like they think I'm a moron and wouldn't notice.

El Quintron

Administrator
Staff member
Also need to add: I just checked on Amazon and I'm in a preferential postal code, according to Amazon. (translation: I'm practically right next to their Mississauga warehouse) which explains why I get so many 1 day shipping options.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
Also need to add: I just checked on Amazon and I'm in a preferential postal code, according to Amazon. (translation: I'm practically right next to their Mississauga warehouse) which explains why I get so many 1 day shipping options.
Ya, I'm in Longueuil, which is pretty close to the warehouse here in Montreal as well so as long as it's in inventory here, I get 1 day prime as well a lot of the time. That is why it took me so long to clue into the move to 2 day prime shipping.

HiVolt

Staff member
Mine was renewed last october I think, and I still get free same day or free 1 day on some items...

This is from the 2018 renewal notice

• No Minimum Purchase – don't worry about meeting a threshold to get free shipping
This is from 2017 notice

HiVolt

Staff member
where do you check that?

never mind I found it. I am in the right range as well.

Prime Free Same-Day or Free One-Day Delivery is available for residential addresses in M1J

I wonder if they have any warehouses in the east end.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
Mine was renewed last october I think, and I still get free same day or free 1 day on some items...

This is from the 2018 renewal notice

This is from 2017 notice
Thanks for clearing that up.

HiVolt

Staff member
Did you check your postal code?

Not sure if this link is unique and will work, if not try searching for "Amazon Prime Eligible Items & Addresses" and then there's a check for same day and one day where you enter your postal code.

Rednekcowboy

Owner
Staff member
Did you check your postal code?

Not sure if this link is unique and will work, if not try searching for "Amazon Prime Eligible Items & Addresses" and then there's a check for same day and one day where you enter your postal code.

Ya, I'm in the preferred zone which explains why for most things I get 1 day.

I guess I just went through a period where some stuff I was ordering wasn't available in the local warehouse through prime and took 2 days. Was my mistake as 95%+ of the stuff I order is always 1 day shipping.

Top Bottom